Monday 9 May 2011

Playdough Genetics

Out came the playdough, feathers, wobbly eyes and coloured matchsticks.
A host of colourful decorated monsters appeared on the table.

I then came up with the idea: Choose two monsters and make them a baby (based on how the parents look). A great discussion began. We chatted about what the baby would look like if a two-eyed monster bred with a one-eyed monster. One of the suggestions was a three-eyed baby, so that lead nicely onto the fact that humans don't produce babies with four eyes. We chatted about the possible combinations for the monsters.

Meet the parents,
One-eyed blue dad and colourful feathery mum ...
... and their new baby.
Can you see it has dad's shape and single eye but mum's colourful feathers?
A family shot.
Mum does have two eyes but seems a bit bashful about being photographed!

10 comments:

  1. these monsters are brilliant :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! What a fun blog. I tried to find your Alphabe-Thursday link for crystal and the royal wedding, but I cannot. The link is broken. I had planned to repair it for you. I'm sorry, I even searched your contents and can't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! What a good idea too. Zoe x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic! I've done a similar thing with drawings, but I love the added dimension with the playdough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is hilarious! But a great genetic lesson!! Can play it up or down depending on the age involved - so fun! Thanks for sharing on It's Playtime!! :)

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! I've done something similar with floam, but never thought to do it with playdough! I like that you took it to the next level and talked about families. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are some funky cool creations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a fun idea! I love how you opened up the line of communication! Such a cool idea to see what they came up with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh, I love that. I love how you have extended a brilliant play activity into a great science lesson.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...