Wednesday 11 May 2011

Beautiful Belle

It wasn't long ago that we couldn't stay in all day. Just a few months ago staying in would have made it a really long day: Tantrums and tears and too much Nutella! Yesterday it got to 3.20pm and the kids were still all happy and busy. This time it was me who needed to get out of the house. Geoff wasn't going to be home until 9pm, so I needed a trip out. Off we went to Wigfield farm. When we arrived the farmer said very matter of fact "Some pigs are been born over there". It took me a while to clock what he had said then I quickly gathered up the children and we experienced 70 minutes of magic and amazement.


Belle had already given birth to two piglets and we watched a further six blood covered, wobbly legged but perfect piglets appear. We had some heart stopping moments. Belle decided to change position during labour and almost squashed one of her babies. Another little piglet just couldn't find the milk. First it was sniffing and pawing round her back, next around her face. The farmer who was watching with me said, "I don't think it's going to make it - it's getting cold." We were all rooting for the little cold wandering piglet. And there, with the farm already long closed, we had to leave Belle with eight piglets and still in labour.

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! What an experience to watch! I bet you really didn't want to leave!
    Zoe x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never forget getting up in the middle of the night to go a friends farm to watch piglets being born. I'd have about six at the time and it was an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...